Police are again today warning us all to be vigilant and also speak to our kids about stranger Danger.
According to the report which you can read here there has been a spate of incidents recently, which often occurs with the start of the new school year.
As our kids get older they start to become more independent - often getting themselves to their various kids activities by themselves of with a group of friends.
For you and your kids here are some Safe people, safe places:
- Make sure your parents or another adult you know knows where you are at all times.
- Always walk straight home or to the place you are walking to. Walk near busier roads and streets, or use paths where there are lots of other people.
- Know where safe places are – a shop, service station, police station, library or school. If you are ever frightened, you should go to one of these places and ask them to call the police.
- Learn about safe adults you can look for and talk to if you need help – police officers, teachers at school, adults you know and trust.
- Don’t talk to people you don’t know and never get into a car with someone you don’t know. If a car stops on the side of the road and you don’t know the person inside, do not stop.
- If you are scared and can use a phone, call 000 and tell them you are scared.
- If someone tries to grab you, yell out, ‘Go away, I don’t know you’. This lets other people know you have been approached by someone you don’t know.
And remember, always let your parents know where you are. Kids "it is cool" to do this. If you are getting around by yourself to your various afternoon activities for kids - them please by careful and stay safe.
Virginia is a busy working mother to two energetic school-aged children. With the help of her supportive husband, Virginia successfully juggles the dual roles of career woman and loving mother. Virginia is particularly passionate about health and fitness, and is always looking for new ways to keep her children happy, healthy and active. Virginia lives in Sydney and is a veteran blogger of almost 5 years.