Children love to help in the kitchen. Cooking with the family is a fun kid’s activity it is one of my kid’s favourite things to do. Starting to teach kids at an early age to be involved in cooking will provide them with a valuable skill set. Firstly, you will find comfort that they will be able to look after themselves in the future, secondly, you will be teaching them to enjoy eating healthy foods. Even the dreaded fruits and vegetables.
Some Keys to success:
- Time: Forget about it. Cooking will slow down significantly once kids are involved. Take your time you will all enjoy cooking much more when you are not worrying about time
- Teach the kids to clean up the counter and ingredients whilst they are cooking
- You will probably need to do all the “boring” cooking, kids only enjoy the fun cooking initially
- Don’t worry about the mess you are making – you will drive yourself crazy. Just make sure the kids help with the clean up afterwards
- Finally, have fun. Cooking is a greatkid’s activity that the whole family can enjoy and benefit from
As a parent, you cannot start soon enough to get your kids cooking in the kitchen. The skills that you will teach them will open up their little eyes to all the different flavors, cuisines and healthy food available. Cooking is a great way to teach children about food and food choices, in a fun environment. If you are not confident in the kitchen yourself, enrol your kids into cooking classes the ActiveActivities directory provides details of your local cooking schools.
With the popularity of Junior MasterChef there are an amazing amount of peers to encourage children to start cooking. Kids are realising that there is more to cooking than making treats for themselves. Kids are learning that cooking healthy food with the best ingredients available is the best food to cook and share with family and friends.
Get in the Kitchen kids! Remember to Have Fun!
Virginia is a busy working mother to two energetic school-aged children. With the help of her supportive husband, Virginia successfully juggles the dual roles of career woman and loving mother. Virginia is particularly passionate about health and fitness, and is always looking for new ways to keep her children happy, healthy and active. Virginia lives in Sydney and is a veteran blogger of almost 5 years.